Friday, March 03, 2006

The Chandigarh trip

Past whole week has been "eventful" to say the least.

I have been trying to buy a flat for investment for the past whole year. I got myself a loan approval last year from ICICI bank and since then all my efforts have been futile. There are options available in Vaishali and even further but I dont wish to buy any thing there... Gurgaon as you all know is way overpriced with the cheapest options available for nothing less than 30 Lakhs. And that is about 10 more than my budget.

My uncle once commented that for investment purposes, you can buy property in the outskirts of any new/developing city and within few years you will get benefits

So that drove me towards Chandigarh. I already knew that property prices in Chandigarh are quite high, but I thought that at least in the outskirts there will be lesser prices options and there were reports that some new IT and ITES companies are planning to setup base in Chandigarh and nearby Zirakpur and Panchkula...

HUDA has launched some new sectors in panchkula and other haryana cities. So some 200 small to large sized plots were up for the draw. Me and my mom were very interested in the same... I figured that I will apply for the highest priced plot and so I will have a good chance of getting that as lesser people will be applying for that. As it turns out 2 Lakh applications had been filed by the time we had gone there and the authority extended the date as well. So CRAP.

Then we decided to checkout the other places of interest like Omaxe and Silver city.. Pretty good but again high priced. We have better facilities here in Gurgaon.

So we did some shopping and went to Church at the Cathedral for the Ash Wednesday Mass. I think I like to visit new Churches. There is something about them, peace and tranquility, its like you can leave everything else aside and forget about them and just sit there...

The next day we did some more sight seeing and shopping Mom go into this shop which had punjabi style ladies suits and in about 10-15 minutes she bought 5 of them totalling 1800 bucks. so thats shopping at about Rs 120 per minute. Amazing !!!

Then we basically ate which has an entire story around it but I will tell about it later. We drove back... I forced papa to part with the keys to the car and drove back home... He was pretty concerned initially and kept commenting about driving slow which I was already doing I mean who in his sane mind drives slower than 100 kph on a national highway ? I did about 115 kph only as the car didn't go much faster than that... next time I home to get my hands on something faster.

We reached home at 6:30 in the evening and that was the end of the Chandigarh trip

PS. Bhiwadi's Kajaria Greens looks like the only option available for me right now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After reading your comments I couldn’t know whether you are cribbing for the high prices on Chandigarh
Or praising Gurgaon
Well to tell you something Gurgaon is the copy of Chandigarh infact all the good emerging cities in India are the copy of Chandigarh
I have traveled length & breadth of India from Kashmir to Chennai from Mizorum to Rajasthan
I haven’t come across any great city like chandigarh I don’t have an clue in which way you called Gurgoan\any other city Great
But in my terms Medical facility, transportation, Security , pollution wise, food, culture, heritage, Morden facility`s\fashion
& above all Attitude of people in chandigarh is Amazing (not even comparable)
Right now I am in US with family but even we miss Chandigarh (b4 leaving I was in Pune prior in Delhi saket)
I should say all cities which created hype are filthy nowhere Chandigarh is even comparable to these Cities
The only Problem with is Jobs\High Prices of commodity
Which is been rectified ( tahts the reason you were there I guess though you were reluctant to Invest )