Thursday, March 16, 2006

What motivates Me

There is a lot that can be said here, I will try to keep it short. As a software developer, the prime motivator about my job are those occasions where I get to take a complex set of ideas and "translate" them into a simple designs realizing that I can fulfill those requirements with a few simple concepts and interfaces.

To get a brand new idea off the ground and then show that not only can you reduce it to practice but that people will actually take it up and use it and that their lives are made that much simpler.

Here at my office, I can sum up my motivational factors in : Altruism, Intellectual Challenge (in patches, though I am still waiting for the first genuine challenge from a developer perspective), Variety, Autonomy, the fact that Vertex allows ample time to pursue other important aspects of my lifestyle -- family, leisure activities, further education, etc, and access to people and opportunities that will position me well for my next career move.

I'm constantly amazed to find that there are people who do not share this motivation. I can't imagine how horrible life would be if the only thing I wanted for my efforts was a paycheck. I regard financial reward as a measurement of success, essential, even crucial, but not an end in itself.

No comments: