Thursday, December 08, 2005

Fidgety

I guess every company has gone through this phase... and maybe for some this is the norm rather than the exception... but for me... its making me fidgety.

I guess the industry I am in suffers from this a lot more than others...

There has been a prolonged series of resignations from my firm... From my team even (40 in the beginning) as many as 15 people have resigned in the past 3-4 months. And this is the same with other departments… And to make matters worse, these departments are considered to be management. And many of these people were in the organization since the inception and some were as new as 3 days.

All this has shaken me up somewhat…

There have been some nagging issues in the organization with deadlines being missed on a daily basis, with wrong information being circulated, with notional losses being made, with clients raising issues which caused lots of problems…

Many projects were launched to try and rectify the problems but as soon as the project was completed and the members facilitated, nothing was heard from then on…

The people who wanted to do something good, were shunned off and …

Interestingly in one of the workshops which a very very senior manager gave, he mentioned that when you have a pitcher full of different types of pebbles, and there is no more scope left to add any, you need to shake the pitcher. After a good shaking, the lighter ones will come up on top. Then you just take them and throw them away to make the space for the newer brighter marbles.

I guess this is what they are doing right now… and the lighter marbles have been the first ones to leave.

But if you think about it, you shake a can of milk, the cream comes up on top… have we thrown away the cream?

I guess change is always painful and change is inevitable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have to tell you that the situation is pretty much same in most of the firms in the industry. I just wonder where all these fellows have gone? Mass Exodus indeed!

Welcome back, Amit. So glad to see you writing and not sulking over having to watch K serials!

Been doing some writing myself. But havent posted it on my blog. It aint happy enough to be there!

:o)